Monday 9 May 2016

Tracks Trails & a smoking race


My 3rd week in of the new campaign after 132km and 127km weeks and feeling ok. I must admit  the occasional voltaren also helps but it is very occasional at this stage anyway. Last week consisted of some great training venues and a solid 10km race at Homebush where almost everyone succeeded in running near to or beyond what they envisaged.

Mon 2nd May:
AM: morning 7km jog along the coast - barely under 5min kms but enjoying the sunshine.
PM: 13km again relatively easy - bout 4:30's in CP.  (Total 20km for the day)

Tue 3rd:
AM: 4km jog along the coast preparing mentally for my first ES marks track session in ages tonight.
PM: met the Sutherland crew including Damon Bray, Laura James and this other girl who told me she's apparently going to the Rio Olympics for both the 5k and 10k. Eloise I think she said her name was.

Just joking, Elzy has jumped in with our Sunday morning long runs quite regularly and has since spoken at a recent Rejoov Runners Centennial park session. Her work as the Love Mercy Ambassador and the 'Cents for Seeds' program in Northern Uganda has made a real difference to the lives of many.  

But tonight she would make a difference to my normal training schedule. What followed was this:

5km warmup / 9laps of the track - 4@80secs, 3@76secs and 2@72secs, then a lap jog then 4x200m reps with 30secs recovery. Then a lap jog. And do all that all over again. Then a few kms cool down.

I loved being back on the track and I felt pretty good as I paced many of the laps before Eloise took off in sub 70 for the very last one both times. In truth I omitted the middle 200's so I could be there for her for round two but I had a crack at them the 2nd round. Both 3.6km efforts (9laps) were 11:32 and 11:40 for me just trailing the champ in each time. Total 16km (20km for the day)
 
Wed 4th:
I had a day in the Gong so I took my gear prepared to run in The Royal National Park on the way home. I drove via the bridge that juts out into the ocean down near Otford on my way to run Lady Carrington Drive when I suddenly saw the end of the Coastal trek so I swung in and decided that this would be my run. Not sure I'll thank that decision come Sat's Syd 10km race but as a long time Sydney runner, having never done any part of that track was just inexcusable. I ran 7km out past Garrie beach and back and boy was it quite tough in parts but I was loving it. How could it be that I haven't seen this part of Sydney yet after all these years. And there's still 20 odd Kms more unseen so it's now on the Long run to do list. Check out this for a run:
 

Total just 14km in almost 85mins (a lot of time ducking branches, jumping logs and negotiating tricky tracks that haven't been upgraded to the above pictured grid section as yet)

Thur 5th: Legs a little tender today after Tuesday night and yesterday's run so I just cruised an easy 14km around CPark with a few 1min surges thrown in to try and loosen things up a little.

Fri 6th: Two runs - again very easy and not far 7km in the morning and 5km evening. These double up runs of only 5km will soon increase so that I can lift the mileage more but for now they are helping to build on strength by continuing to run on tired legs.

Sat 7th: Sydney 10km (state champs). This race originally built up by Glen Guzzo via the partnership with Sydney Striders has grown into a fantastic fast 2 loop race. Olympic marathoner to be Scotty Westcott now runs this event and the results are fantastic. Short of Launceston and perhaps the Sydney Harbour 10km, this course is pretty much as flat for 90% of the time as can be and those 10% are easily made up with the depth of field around you. The only thing Scott didn't manage to take care of was the backburning that was happening in the mountains that blew smoke our way as we finished our warmup and lined up. Those with asthma suffered a little whilst we all managed to get through ok. Had it been a half or full the results may not have been as favourable.

 

Rejoov Runners was well out in force again now equipped with a new banner so everyone can congregate around, get nervous and ultimately report back soon after. The results from our guys was nothing short of fantastic. Many PBs across the board as some broke through in a big way and others continued to chip away at their times showing the value of consistent training inside a fun environment. Runs of the day for me were Beck Munro who smashed a 1min off to almost miss the 38's entirely - running 38:05 & Maya Borthwick who also smashed through the sub 40min barrier in a huge way to run 39:05. Similar runs by Johnny, Simon, Juny, Jo and Lesley (6min PB) ensured firstly that there are too many to individually highlight but also that everyone is on track. Special mention also to Rejoov fringe dweller Jeet who also ran a huge PB to record 34:44 and earn himself a free Rejoov singlet which he assures me he will wear with pride now.

Then there was the 3-way tussle with my online runner Robin Vonk, Neil Pearson and myself.

 

Robin, bouncing back from the Canberra marathon 4 weeks ago (2:47) and Neil aiming to bounce back after 2 marathons in 2 weeks (2:37 Boston, 2:45 Big Sur) as little as 2 weeks ago were ready to go and started well as we all ran through the 1km mark in just under 3:10. Immediately both surged to join a growing group that included Nick Cope, Robin Whitely, Chadi and many others and I missed the train. I had made my mind up that I would be a little more sensible than usual and try and run consistent to attain that desired sub 33min again. I was 16:10 through halfway and only 10-15secs down on that group which were starting to show signs of fracturing. I was running with the Sutherland boys (pictured above) with Kevin Robertson, Liam Ridings and I eventually emerging to push each other from 7km all the way home. I was catching a fading Neil and the 2 Robins but alas ran out of road and track as we entered the stadium and bolted the 350m around to the finish.

An amazing performance from Neil so soon after the marathons to run a PB of 32:43, Robin Vonk a few secs ahead in 32:39 with myself just falling short of the catch but proud to cross in 32:46. A real confidence boost to run this during a heavier training block and not my usual taper. Hopefully I can continue to get this time down to maybe sub 32min by the GC half / Syd harbour 10km double.

Total for the day incl a light afternoon jog 21km. See below for all Rejoov results:

Robin Vonk 32.39 pb
Neil Pearson 32:43
Chris T 32.46
Jeet Aich 34:44
Bruce Lambert 34:45
Simon Rab 36.13 pb
Johnny Mac 37.40 pb by over a min
Beck Munro 38.05 pb by over a min
Greta 38.18
Maya Borthwick 39.05 pb by over a min
Ruth McGuiness 39.21 pb
Jenny Doak 40.41
Jacqueline OÇonnor 41:17
Eleanor Goldrick 41.57
Amy Louise 41.41 pb
Juny 42.58 pb by over a min
Jo Hadley 45.57 pb by over 2mins
Rebecca Aaby 52.06 pb
Cathie Sherrington 56.03
Lesley Mason 59.03 pb hugest pb of the day over 6mins!!

Sun 8th: Mother's day and a 29km long run to finish the week well on exactly 130km. Not a big showing today after the state 10km and maybe because of family commitments so the pace was lighter than last week which suited everyone. I battled the last few kms but got it done.

Another busy day of birthday parties and pre-Phuket get together drinks.



Everyone drinking wine at the Bavarian Beer Haus!!









No comments:

Post a Comment